Tuesday 6 June 2017

The Eye of The World (Wheel of Time #1)

The Eye of the World - Robert Jordan 


5/5 Stars

This book reminded me of why I love fantasy. It contains numerous tropes, which are now over-used and even goes parallel with Lord of the Rings at times. However I think The Wheel of Time does Lord of the Rings better, which isn't an easy task... 

The plot reads very much like a Dungeons and Dragons campaign, filled with random Trolloc encounters but also meeting mysterious men at strange inns. While being cheesy at times, I couldn't help but smile while reading these scenes as they felt so nostalgic to me as a fantasy reader.


My favourite scenes are by far whenever a new character is introduced (which happens a lot). Robert Jordan introduces his characters in such an entertaining way that clearly highlights their personality and specific skill traits that could either benefit or hinder the group. 


The world building in this book is phenomenal, as we explore various places in this first book, while still only scratching the surface of many places yet to come. This makes the scope of the world, but also the potential of the narrative for later books insane.


By the end of this first book I found myself growing attached to nearly all the main characters, particularly the main 3 guys (Rand, Perrin and Mat) and can't wait to read the next 13 books!


My Goodreads Review

No comments:

Post a Comment