Saturday 17 June 2017

The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time #2)

The Great Hunt - Robert Jordan 


5/5 Stars

The thing about this series is that I understand the few negative opinions surrounding The Wheel of Time in general. Yes, it is jam-packed with fantasy tropes. Yes, the women aren't quite as well developed as the men are (as of this point). Yes, certain things seem somewhat convenient for the characters and plot advancement. However, it just doesn't bother me and for someone who reads mainly modern fantasy, it's refreshing to go back to the roots of the Epic Fantasy genre and it can't be denied how much this series makes me smile! 
I found the plot in this second book to be even more enjoyable, as it still stuck to the Dungeons and Dragons style from the first book but also felt more adventurous for the characters and therefore me. In terms of the story itself, the plot expands along with the world, as we travel to new places, which of course brings along new characters. 

Robert Jordan seems to love introducing new characters... a lot. Normally i'd get bogged down and confused with all the names and trying to keep track of it all. However, much like in 'The Eye of the World', I found the character introduction scenes to be by far my favourite, as it's so interesting to learn more about the different cultures from this world through the eyes of these new people. So it's a good job there's a lot of them! 

The only negative thing I would say is that whenever the characters travel through 'The Ways' I find the writing to become quite jarring and confusing, forcing me to often re-read certain parts in order to fully grasp what's going on. However, throughout the rest of the novel, I find it to be incredibly clear and visual, which more than makes up for this. 

While this series is a massive one, I can definitely understand the popularity as (so far) it has never failed make me happy whilst reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment