Saturday 24 June 2017

The Sky is Everywhere

The Sky is Everywhere - Jandy Nelson 


3/5 Stars


I don't read a lot of contemporary, so I'm far from an expert, but I actually quite enjoyed this book. 

One of my favourite things in any story is when an unlikable protagonist is done well and I feel like this book is a good representation of what I mean by this. Yes, Lennie (The main character) does some horrible things, but by no means does she ever try and justify these actions or make up excuses. She recognises her mistakes and knows she has done wrong, which is refreshing for me to see in a contemporary novel. 

However, every other character felt kind of empty to me, especially Lennie's best friend Sarah, who really wasn't given enough page time (is that a thing?) to show off her own personality, as I do feel like she would be a fun character if explored further and not just used as a plot device for Lennie to blow of steam. 

I did really like the idea of having a poem of sorts at the end of each chapter and I thought that was a good way to add to the tone of the story, whilst also nicely breaking up the narrative. 

Overall, I did find myself not being too interested in the overall plot and romance, not that it was bad, it just isn't my kind of thing. However, it was an enjoyable quick read in between some much bigger fantasy books! :D

Side note: The constant mentioning of Wuthering heights actually makes me want to finally pick it up!

My Goodreads Review

No comments:

Post a Comment